At Henkel, you can be a game changer and craft your career. Unleash your entrepreneurial spirit by bringing your ideas to life within a global team. Our leading brands and technologies, along with our high-performing businesses will provide you with countless opportunities to develop your skills and explore new paths. Your career at Henkel will contribute to a more sustainable future, while you grow within our vibrant, diverse culture of trust and belonging. If you're up for challenging the status quo, join our team of pioneers and make your mark on the future with us.
Do you dare to make an impact?
In the newly formed Discovery group at Henkel Consumer brands, the role of Principal Scientist is responsible for creating disruptive new technologies to address future consumer needs and transform the laundry and beauty industries in sustainable and futuristic ways. You will independently initiate and execute research programs to provide practical new technical solutions in the fields of laundry detergent, fabric enhancers and/or personal cleansing which support a multi-year product pipeline vision and business strategies. Experience with FDA registered anti-bacterial ingredients is desired.
The Principal scientist is expected to develop expertise in a technical field, independently develop a comprehensive research plan, conduct laboratory experiments, analyze results, and present findings in a clear, business relevant way. Responsibilities include thorough understanding of instrumentation and scientific testing methods and may include development of new, unique testing to support goals. This is a highly technical position which will require continuous learning and the ability to gain in-depth working knowledge of FDA registered anti-bacterial ingredients, surfactants, polymers, structure property relationships. Work will involve studying the interaction of chemicals with skin and textiles. Other responsibilities include developing technical models to explain and predict results.
The Principal Scientist will gain a thorough knowledge of current state of the art through primary scientific literature and patent landscape reviews. They will be expected to contribute to inventions, file patents, publish results and represent Henkel at scientific conferences. They will develop working relationships with Universities, Suppliers, and other research facilities. Close partnerships with scientists at Henkel’s Global headquarters facility located in Dusseldorf, Germany is expected.
The role may involve managing junior level scientists or technicians. Development of skills and output of the team with excellence, seeks opportunity to grow direct reports, and supports their growth opportunities.
- Planning a comprehensive research program and execution of laboratory based experiments.
- Applies in-depth knowledge of marketplace, products, and trends, and participates in the development of future competitive strategies.
- Actively seeks to understand and utilizes chemical structure/function relationships pertaining to material performance and the impact on textile and/or skin.
- Apply knowledge of testing and analytical instrumentations such as rheology, tensile strength testing, SEM, FTIR as well as specialized textile instrumentation. Seek out new methods to test benefits of technology.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, perform, analyze, and draw conclusions from complex technical experiments.
- Openly share expertise and point-of-view, contributing to free debate and discussion within the organization.
- Collaborates seamlessly with R&D’s cross-function teams (i.e. packaging, process development, product safety & regulatory, product testing, and manufacturing) and business partners (i.e. marketing, supply chain, finance, and legal) as well as customer teams during the development and commercialization of products.
- Provides leadership and contributes to R&D strategies.
- Stays abreast of new technologies and instrumentation and makes recommendations for capital improvements